{Personal Expressions} Life comes full circle on a Thursday | Naperville Lifestyle Photographer

May 25, 2012

Do you have fond memories of Kindergarden and Elementary school? Do you have pictures from that time in your life that you look back upon and smile at how much fun you had and the friends you played with? I dont! :)

I don't have fond memories of my Kindergarden and Elementary years. You see, I was somewhat of a loner with very few friends until I met my "gang" in 3rd grade. After that, life was good!! But before that I was miserable. I hated going to school. The reason why I hated it was because I had to eat lunch alone at school. My school had a policy where parents could bring lunch to school daily and eat with their kids or the kids that lived close by, could go home for lunch. So the few friends that I did have either had their moms come with their lunch or lived close enough to walk home. But I had neither. My mom used to work during the day so she could not come and bring me lunch. For a 5-6 year old, those were lonely times! But Thursdays were special - on that day, mom had half the day off so she would rush home, pack lunch and come spend time with me in school.

Mom and I looked forward to that day all week. Thursday was our special day - our time together - our time to hang out with each other at school. I was not alone on Thursdays!
Today was a very special day for me because I got my "Thursday" with my kid. Her school had a picnic day where parents could bring and have lunch with their kids. I must say, I have been looking forward to this day ALL week. I planned the menu, packed the basket and waited till lunch time so that I could drive to school and have Thursday lunch with my baby!
The day could not have been more perfect. The sun was shining and I found a shady spot under a beautiful tree and waited for her. I absolutely loved seeing the smile on her face as she walked out.
I know now how my mom must have felt all those Thursdays so many years ago. She too must have felt the same way as I did today eating lunch with my baby at school! Mom, if you are reading this - those Thursdays were among the BEST days of my life :)